Saturday, July 31, 2010

Need advice/help with getting a legal separation/divorce in Stafford, VA?

I am separated from my so-to-be ex-husband. We do not have any kids or property together. We were married for about a year and a half. We have also worked out all of our bills and accounts we had together, so we don鈥檛 have any finical ties. We separated on July 1, 08. My dilemma is that I can simply not afford a lawyer right now and I make to much money to get any type of legal help from county/state. I have found a web site were I can buy all the paper work and information that I need for a divorce in VA. I can buy that package for a little over $50, and do the whole thing myself. One of my questions is that we have to be separated for 6 months; does that time start from our legal separation or do we get the time from when we actually separated (July 1)? Second questions; how does the whole process work (step-by-step)? Third; any additional advice or your stories of divorce would be helpful.Need advice/help with getting a legal separation/divorce in Stafford, VA?
The separation starts from the day he left the home. That is your separation date. Believe me I am going through a divorce in VA as well. I am still learning the process and wish I could help you more.Need advice/help with getting a legal separation/divorce in Stafford, VA?
why dont you get an uncontested divorce? what is it that you are looking for, alimony? If you dont have enough money for a lawyer, look for one that does pro-bono work. In some cases they will do it for no fee, particularly in cases of abuse. If you are separated for over a year, you can get a divorce on grounds of abandonment. But your divorce has to have a reason, or grounds for filing.
I was in your situation, but we have a child together. You might not have to buy those papers for $50. Check your county website to see if there is any paperwork for dual fault or no fault divorce. Once you have the paperwork filled out %26amp; notarized, you go to the county so they can file it %26amp; you'll have to pay court fees (in Illinois, it was $270). From there, you will probably get a court date to go before the judge so he can approve it. That's how it worked for me.
ask a lawyer.....or some 1 that knows not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment