Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice- should i tell my date about my divorce on the first meeting?

I really like this guy from work. I guess the feeling is mutual. He has asked for dinner in 2 days. The issue is that I am divorced and I feel that he knows this . He must have heard it from some other collegues . But he behaves as if he does not know or he does not care. I am not sure if I should tell him if it comes up. Why would he behave like that if he knows it.Advice- should i tell my date about my divorce on the first meeting?
Divorce is a personal thing, and many people dont want to mention it as it may hurt you. He probably does not want you to think that he has heard all these things about you, and made judgments on you.





My advice is to not bring it up unless HE specifically talks about your divorce. There is an old rule that you do NOT talk about ex's on a first date, and trust me a divorce is like the ultimate ex.





This relationship is about you and him. I know that the divorce is important to YOU, but it really should not have any bearing on your current relationship.





Concentrate on getting to know HIM better, and ask about his past and future dreams. First dates are meant to be fun, and a chance to get to know each other a little better. I agree that your divorce is something he should know about, but not at this stage in the relationship. He does not want to feel like you are still thinking about your ex and that you have not got over the divorce. concentrate on him and make sure you have fun.





First dates are rarely times to bring up heavy things like divorce. Keep the conversation ligth and fun. You dont want to scare him away, by sounding as if you have not got over your ex.

No comments:

Post a Comment