Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Legal advice: divorced 6yrs. I want to move out of state. Better job opportunities?

I've been divorced now for 6yrs. I have a 16yr. old son (only child) from this marriage. I had the opportunity to move to another state to work (High-school English teacher (Bilingual:English/Spanish). I had notified my ex-husband and he was against it. None-the-less I continued with my plans. My son was reluctant, (14 at the time) but agreed. My ex-husband convinced him to stay by telling him that he is old enough to choose with which parent he would like to stay...(in Puerto Rico, the child can decide who he/she wants to live with @ the age of 11. which is ridiculous to me...). Long story short: I did leave to GA. I left legal temporary custody of my son to my mom. I returned every month and a half to see my son. I tried to convince him to come with me but he refused every time saying that he doesn't want to leave PR, his friends, his dad, etc... I ended up leaving my dream job at the end of the school year to reunite with my son and live here with him. BUT, I haven't worked for almost 1 1/2 . there are no new job opportunities in education here in PR. I'm considering going back to the states to work. My LEGAL question is: How can I take my son with me without his father suing me for custody. My son is now 16 almost 17 and is in the 11th grade. I really could use the advice. (the government laid off 20,000 government employees and of these, over half were in EDUCATION. Thank you, CarmenLegal advice: divorced 6yrs. I want to move out of state. Better job opportunities?
You cant.





Hate to break it to you,but Fathers have rights to their kids too.





Shocking concept,I know, But thats how it is and how it should be.





Why should HE be forced into a travel for visitation situation just because YOU want to leave??Legal advice: divorced 6yrs. I want to move out of state. Better job opportunities?
Only way is if the judge says so and at your sons age if he doesn't want to the judge won't make him, your son has friends and probably wants to graduate with them
Carmen: Are you putting your sons best interest first or your own?
You cant. The truth is the child is 16, and if YOU want to leave then do so, but it's highly, highly unlikely that the court won't grant custody to the child's father.
Legally, you won't win given that your son (17) has alternatives. The Courts would see a forced move (against your sons wish's when he has a father, friends %26amp; family in PR) as entirely selfish on YOUR part.

No comments:

Post a Comment