Saturday, August 21, 2010

Advice on how to support my new gf who is getting divorced and is battling over their 2 year old?

Never been in the situation of dating a woman who is separated. There is no possibility of a rapprochement with her husband, so don't think it is adulterous affair. He left her for a younger woman(she cant have more kids)and they fight about access. I haven't met the child as yet and have overheard the arguments mainly concerning the child and assets. Having never been married let alone divorced I'm at a loss how to support her? ANY genuine advice from those who have experienced this situation and successfully helped their lady please tell me!!Advice on how to support my new gf who is getting divorced and is battling over their 2 year old?
When I met my husband we were in a very similar situation. I can tell you this from experience. Listen to her and show empathy. If you feel she is being unfair tell her in a kind way and ask her how would she feel if her soon to be ex did that to her. I wouldn't take sides but I would be supportive and honest and NEVER forget to be kind!!! NEVER argue with the soon to be Ex. Remind her that she MUST keep this relationship as a business relationship. They are two people invested in the same interest ';the child'; they are not friends. If they are still friends then isn't this the basis of a marriage and therefor shouldn't they stay married? These are the things that we learned from our family therapist when going through the divorce. Good luck, it takes a STRONG person.Advice on how to support my new gf who is getting divorced and is battling over their 2 year old?
Please don't rush into anything too soon. A divorce is in some ways like a death. She may still have feelings for him and him for her. It will take some time after the divorce to know if her feelings for him are over and how she really feels about you. I know that you don't want to get hurt. If it is possible, the best thing is for them to work out their marriage.
NEWS FLASH: If you are in an intimate relationship with a married woman, you are in an aduterous relationship. Whether or not she is in the process of a divorce, separated or whatever, as long as they are still married, you are both committing adultry . . . the husband is also, so expect problems and lots of them. Adultry NEVER goes without extreme pain and suffering, and there is a very slim chance of that relationship working long-term. Put your armor on, you are going to need it. Bullets are flying and you are caught in the crossfire. I'd back off until the divorce is final and let them get their own problems ironed out. Remember I said this. Things will get worse before they get better.
when she wants to b*tch, listen, and only offer insight if it is pertinent to what is going on. don't take sides, and don't get involved with the conflict. just be there for her emotionally. and if she seems to be pulling back, let her. she'll either come back around, or realize it's a rebound relationship.





when my boyfriend was going through his divorce (and no, I didn't cause it. I just ended up coming in at the end of it. he moved out on Monday, and we were hanging out on Friday. she ended it, not him, by the way.), he would confide his problems in me because I had been divorced twice. I told him things I felt like he needed to know, but I wasn't pushy. as the divorce got closer, I felt like he was pushing me away. I didn't push back, I just waited for him to come back to me. I let him know I was always there for him. after the dust settled a little, and the relief came in, it was back to normal. he's told me how much it meant to him that I was there to let him vent, correct him about his misperceptions, and not push him about anything. that's all you can do, because this is her fight, not yours. good luck!
Just be there for her and the child when you do meet him.Don't get involved about the child,because that will be settled in court.After her divorce do what you can so one day she might want to remarry and you might be the lucky guy for hanging in with her and not getting in the middle.Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
just be a sounding board dont advise dont agree when she gets angry and suggests she could use the child against him some how just hug her and love her and when you meet the child please remember they are a victim in this and need as much emotional support as she does if not more





are you ready to be his fill in daddy without actually taking away what his dad is to him without becoming abusive towards his father and / or him?





good luck you have some tough times ahead
You are a nice guy ! Only tell her that you love her, and care of her. And help her ( when she needs help ) with anything.


I am now in her situation and I would appreciate if my friend would help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment