Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting Divorced, Father won't participate in Parenting Time Need advice?

The father of my child rarely spends time with him. We have a preliminary agreement that he is to see him on Thurs and everyother weekend. Since we, separated he hasn't spent quality time with his son. Although he does have another son from another relation that he does keep every other weekend. I'm pregnant w/ his third child, my second with him, I'm wondering if I should even bother with trying to get him involved with his new child. Not quite sure what my question is, I just need some advice. I really don't want to enforce parenting time with their father, he's not a mature man. No job, lives with his mom now. In fact, I would love to have my two sons,use my last name. Can I get my soon to be ex, to give up his parenting rights, have their name changed to my maiden name, (I never legally changed my name) and if so, do I still get child support.Getting Divorced, Father won't participate in Parenting Time Need advice?
I'll answer the easiest parts first: If he gives up his parental rights, that will include any responsibility to financially support them. Also, the court will not allow him to relinquish his rights unless there is another man willing to adopt the kids and assume the financial responsibility. You can do a name change if he agrees on the son who is already born. Regardless of physical custody you still each have 50% legal custody so that's why you'll need his permission. Without a legal name change your son can go by your last name as an AKA. The unborn baby you can give your last name when he is born.





The harder stuff: You may be able to make him take the time with his child(ren), but you can't make it be quality time. Your child deserves the most consistency possible. So dad needs to be consistently there or consistently not, he should not be allowed to randomly visit with his child. I would keep very detailed documentation if were you for any future court proceedings.Getting Divorced, Father won't participate in Parenting Time Need advice?
if you want him to give up his rights why do you expect him to still pay, you want the child to yourself, you take financial responsibilities. it is still his child
I do KNOW that if a man signs over his parental rights (and responsibilites) you WILL NOT receive child support. I do know this for a FACT because my daughter's father volunterily signed over his rights. Basically now...He is a sperm donor. He can't come back in 5 years when he's realized his mistake and ask for his rights back, because it won't happen.
No one can make him grow up. Is his mother interested in having grandma time? If she is, the kids would at least see him sometimes since he's living with her. .
I have had the same questions in my head...because I'm with an immature man. As far as the last name goes, I would advise you to do what's in your heart. If you want to give them your last name, go ahead...but be prepared to answer your kids questions when they are old enough to wonder why they have your last name and not their father's. At the end, even if he is immature, he is still their father. I am going to let my kid have his dad's last name eventhough I think I am moving out on my own as soon as I have my baby. He is not stepping up to the plate and eventhough he has a kid from another relationship and takes care of him every single day (mon-fri) and loves him to death, he still has no job and doesn't show to be mature enough to be a 'family man'. I don't blame him, he never had a father and his sister raised him because his mom moved 'to improve' their life when he was only 5 yrs old. Anyway, that's not the issue right here. I would advise you to divorce him, do what's your in your heart and not even try to get him involved. Don't make him...he'll do it if he wants to. Unfortunately, we can't make people mature or change. Good luck honey and if you need to talk to someone please e-mail me at Andreina1111@yahoo.com. I also sometimes need advice and help from people who understand me. I also have myspace...name: Diana Andreina e-mail same as above. Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment